Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A little rant against bridal showers (apologies to those who like them).

So I recently bought some kitchen equipment to supplement my very limited supply.
I hardly had room for the two things I bought in my small kitchen.


At the same time that I spent money on a few kitchen wares (baking pans and a little chopper thing), my mom was invited to a flurry of weddings, and thus a flurry of bridal showers. Now, I always say to each his/her own (well, I sometimes say that), but I just don't understand bridal showers. Why does society think you only need a kitchen when you are married??

Just because you are getting married, doesn't mean you all of a sudden start cooking and need a state of the art kitchen. SINGLE PEOPLE COOK TOO! I also think it is weird to ask people to stock your kitchen in addition to giving you a wedding gift.

Here is an interesting alternative I found to the bridal shower that I think people should consider. Or, maybe I should marry myself like Carrie Bradshaw on the Sex and the City episode "A Woman's Right to Shoes" where she says, "I'm getting married...to myself. And oh, by the way, I'm registered at Manolo Blahnik." I wouldn't register there, but you get the idea.

The Charity Shower

So, to wrap up, you don't have to married to need a kitchen, and if a bride-to-be has been living without a fancy cutting board up until now, she can probably wait until her actual wedding to have one.

2 comments:

  1. 1. Yes!
    2. I felt like my 30th birthday party was like a wedding to myself- friends and family flew out from all over the country to come live it up in Atlantic CIty for a weekend. It was a nice feeling to have everybody together in a way that normally only occurs at a wedding.
    3. This year, 32, I am turning my birthday party into a charity party. Now that I am back in school full time, my charitable contributions have had to be cut down a little and it makes me sad. So, I figured I could use a little help from my friends! We all live such charmed lives, even if it doesn't always feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yes! I don't think I've ever actually been to a bridal shower, oddly enough, but I don't like the idea of them. You are so right that single people cook too. But conversely (if that even makes sense here): PEOPLE ALREADY HAVE KITCHEN CRAP BEFORE THEY GET MARRIED!! And when they get all that new stuff, a lot of them just throw out the old perfectly good stuff. So that's why I'm not a fan of registering. Such a waste!

    ReplyDelete