Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Anyone hungry?

Tonight I made a Black Eyed Pea Cake with Chipotle Aioli inspired by an appetizer I had at Blossom in Chelsea (http://www.blossomnyc.com/). Actually, I made enough for 1o people so if anyone is hungry...

Here is the final product.When I first put it on the plate it looked a little like a boob. So I added the avocado which helped.

I started by sauteing some onion, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and chili powder.
Then I pureed the black eyed peas and added the onion and garlic mixture.

Then I cooked them like pancakes.

For the Chiptole Aioli I put peppers with their sauce, some tofu, lime, rice milk and salt in a blender.
You can see I put in WAY too much pepper. So I cooled it down with avocado which was good but made the color more dull. And my mom gave me the tip of adding honey which helped too.

This took a long time to make because I had to cook all the cakes. I also had to play with the sauce a lot. But it tasted pretty good. And now I have PLENTY!

3 comments:

  1. Hmm. Black Eye Pea cake? I may have to try that. I'm inspired to cook more these days, especially using non-traditional ingredients.

    You may also like akara, a West African fried dumpling made of black eye peas (I learned how to make them from a Ghanaian caterer). Has similar ingredients as your pancakes. Thinking of these yummy snacks makes me want to run out to buy a Fry Daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I am glad you are cooking more!

    ReplyDelete