Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Trials and Tribulations of Breading

I have been remiss in posting and I have to admit that by this time when I am posting about my experience making breaded eggplant, all the eggplant has been eaten... days ago. Bad blogger :( Breading eggplant has been something I have tried many times and always failed. Without egg I find it very difficult to get the breadcrumbs to stick. The one thing I have to say that I did very well this time was prep the eggplant. I was very patient. I salted one side, let it sit, rinsed it, salted the other side, let it sit, rinsed it. So the eggplant came out nice and tender and not tough like usual. I began using ricemilk to wet it and then dipped it in the breadcrumbs. Then I fried it in oil.



Not only did I use WAY too much oil, but the breadcrumbs fell right off. Since I have a history of getting really frustrated with breading, I caved and added one egg to my rice milk. I was not happy about cracking an egg and seeing the yolk (ew) but I just really wanted the breading to stick. I figured mixed with the rice milk it was a very, very small amount of egg. Bad vegan :( But that worked better.


The next thing I did that really helped was double dip. I dipped in the ricemilk mixture, then the breadcrumbs, then back in the ricemilk, then back in the crumbs. It got the breading much thicker. I wonder if I had done that before trying the egg I could have done it truly vegan.


Then they were really oily from the pan frying so I baked them. Next time I am going to use a very, very light spray and not worry so much about getting the eggplant soft, then I will bake longer to get the eggplant soft.

Here is the final product!!


You live, you learn!

2 comments:

  1. When I fry fish I dip it in the dry mixture (i.e breadcrumbs, etc), then dip it in eggs (scrambled), then the dry mix again.

    Or, for alternatives, coat in mayonaisse or Italian dressing, then dip it in the dry mixture.

    Breadcrumbs stick everytime.

    I don't eat eggplant, but I'm guessing the above techniques will work similarly.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aliza! I just came across this blog and was reading some of your creations! I am not a vegan, but I love to cook!!! Anyway, my mom (who is an amazing Italian cook) makes eggplant all the time. Her secret is to take off all the skin, slice it as thin as possible, and after they come out of the pan, stack them on layers of paper towels to drain excess oil. Unfortunately, lots of oil can be needed to make them come out brown and crispy, but afterwards you want to de-oil them (if that is a term!!!) Everyone in my family loves them thin and crispy, so that is what we do! Keep up the good work! =)

    ReplyDelete