Saturday, August 29, 2009

A disaster from the start...

Last week I went to the farmer's market and picked up a lot of veggies, fully intending to cook all week. Sadly, the week got away from me and I just tried to use the ingredients before they went bad. I had a mix of random things. Two kinds of potatoes, an onion, baby eggplant, and beets. I looked online for some ideas but nothing struck me. So I thought I would just roast it all (mistake #1). So I cut up all the ingredients which took forever and started sauteing some onions and garlic.
Cutting the beets was gross. But the beetblood on my hand (I am so Lady Macbeth) reminded me to cook the beets separate or they would run all over everything.

So I put the potatoes in the pan and mixed it with the onion and garlic and added some thyme. Then I put that mixture in a pan and stuck it in the oven. I put the eggplant peeled and cut on top of the potatoes.


I put the beets in the saute pan to heat them up (mistake #3). The beets were not cooking well so I put them on a cookie sheet (only other pan I had to bake something in) and waited until the potatoes were done to put the beets in the oven.


At the end I threw the beets over the potatoes and put it back in the oven.

It came out ok, but not great. The potatoes were kind of oily and they still stuck to the bottom, the beets were kind of chewy. I had to pick off the eggplant and throw it out because it tasted gross. All in all, not the most successful dish. The best thing was the onion. It was just a really good onion.

I made this hummus to make up for it which came out really well. Thanks to my friend Jennifer for that recipe.

4 comments:

  1. I was just talking to a co-worker about how to cook beets. Apparently, the best way is to bake them whole, but I forgot to ask if they should be wrapped in foil or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. Someone was saying to boil them. Either way I must have done it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha, I was just coming here to say the following: The easiest (and least messy!) way I know of to prepare beets is to roast them in foil. You should cut off the tops (all but about an inch) and wash and dry them well. Cut off any funky long roots or other weird appendeges. Wrap each beet in foil and arrange them on a cookie sheet in the oven. Roast them for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the size, at about 400 degrees. Let them cool before you unwrap and eat. One of the best things about preparing beets this way is that they can go straight into the fridge while still wrapped in foil, where they will keep for a long time. You can roast a large number of beets at once and keep them around this way. It's also a fairly quick preparation, and it's mostly hands-off, which is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I will have to give it a try. I may take a beet break for a bit though.

    ReplyDelete