Thursday, August 6, 2009

Dig in!

Dig it, or dig in, I have started a food blog. I join the millions of others, and millions more after the release of Julie and Julia, who write about their food. But I have wanted to do this for a while. And the movie Julie and Julia is so wonderful and so inspiring that here I am putting hand to keyboard and food to camera. I read lots of food blogs. So I can tell you what this blog will be and what it won't be. It won't be a bunch of recipes. Not only are recipes not my style, but I don't have the patience. I am more like food network, saying what the dish is and never really giving you enough detail to make it at home. It will be my musings on food, what I cook and why with the occasional note about how I did it.

A note about my diet: I am vegan. Except, I eat cake, cookies and anything else where egg and dairy is cooked in. Basically baked goods only. But I usually bake vegan. It is like Julie Powell in the movie said "I have never eaten an egg...except in cake." The quote may not be accurate but the idea is there. I have eaten eggs in the past though. And I am not one of those animal rights activist vegans. I just think animals are kind of gross and don't want to eat them.Oh, another word about my cooking. I have a tiny kitchen with about 4 inches of counter space. And I own one large plate. It is white with blue and green stripes. You will see it.

So tonight I got a glimpse of a Throwdown with Bobby Flay where he threw down with one of my favorite cookie places: Le Vain Bakery on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. Delicious. So tonight I made vegan cookies. I made them using EnerG Egg Replacer. I usually don't like to use this because it doesn't feel like an ingredient, it feels like a chemical. But tonight I was too tired to figure something else out. Here they are:

And there is my plate. I made these cookies late at night after work and it is summer so with the stove on it was crazy hot and I am really tired. So here is one more photo and that will close my first entry. Oh and yes, I have no mixing bowl so I usually do those types of things in a pot.

Buon Appetite!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I can't wait to read your blog, and I love the fact that you have one plate. :-)

    ReplyDelete